Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bird Flu in Sungai Buloh

I am not switching on the panic button. Just a little concerned.
This is about the Avian Influenza or Bird Flu cases in Sungai Buloh.
According to Bernama, bird flu has been detected in 3 villages in Paya Jaras, Sungai Buloh which is just over yonder from where I live in Taman Tun Dr Ismail.
Following this, the Selangor Veterinary Services Department with the co-operation of the Health Ministry is monitoring a one-kilometre radius around the 3 villages.
Bird flu was detected after 6 fowls which were found dead last week, were confirmed to have the disease.
In an update today, Bernama reported that yesterday (Wednesday, June 5 2007), 1,359 chickens were culled.
So far, (at least, as of yesterday) there have been no cases of human bird flu.
Still, villagers have been advised to seek immediate treatment if they have flu-like symptoms.
Veterinary Department head of disease control, Dr Kamaruddin Isa was quoted to have said that quarantine has been imposed within a 10km radius of the outbreak.

Bernama has provided this info: Operation centres are now open at the Selangor Health Department, Petaling Health office, Sungai Buloh Hospital and the ministry's National Crisis (Health) Preparedness and Response Centre in Putrajaya which can be contacted at 03-8881 0600 or 03-8881 0700.

I am relieved that the relevant authorities are doing all they can to prevent a spread of the disease and are investigating the cause and source.
But I will continue to be concerned until we get the all-clear from the authorities.
There have been no human bird flu cases in the country so far.
Let's keep it that way.

Do read the Bernama story here.

And read about Avian Flu here and here.

7 comments:

Rockybru said...

Am glad you posted on the bird flu's return to Malaysia. And Sg Buloh, too! That's like next door, isn't it?

I hope the Health Ministry will be transparent about this 0ne. There has been too much secrecy in government of late. Even the PM's wedding was kept a secret until the 11th hour and even then the 4th floor kids were dishing out orders to editors not to write this and that.

Bird flu can be handled well if the people are well-informed and know exactly what is required of them.

Bergen said...

You know how it is, the young know everything, the old believe everything, the middle age suspect everything. I am middle age so it is only understandable that I doubt the official statements by guys in white coat.

Anonymous said...

Our 'cina ikan' supplies chicken brought all the way from pasar selayang, which is a distance away, right?

my mom said as long theyre cooked right, there's no reason to be alarmed. I'll go with my instinct that mama's always right.

Walski69 said...

It's good that the action taken (if what's being reported is accurate) has been quick and decisive. Especially since I live right smack in the Sg Buloh area (I'm just a stone's throw from the hospital, actually).

And Rocky, to me it is literally next door...

So far, however, no human infections have been reported in the area, but I'll keep my ears peeled...

The Ancient Mariner said...

We have gone thru this before so better be safe than sorry. In the meantime, no more chicken rice for me. Why push my luck.

Unknown said...

Call me a skeptic, a pessimist or an alarmist but I doubt that is all there is. Like Rocky said, we should be fully informed so that we could act accordingly. Thing of it as not panicking the people but more of keeping people alert.

Jorji said...

If people,
who werk with the newspaper before, TRUST the info by the authorities,
about this issue, or
any other issue,
then i believe it.

For now...I TRUST my parent..
and NO TRUST to transparent.

Thank You.