Saturday, March 05, 2011

Communication Tools: Boon and Bane

Last night I scolded my daughter. There were heated exchanges between us. Thankfully she was not rude. Even if she were, I would not know because I couldn't hear the harshness, if indeed there was.

For how could I get a sense of the tone of those words she used.

We were sms-ing each other. In the car. In case, you're wondering, neither of us was driving.

Now how crazy was that? Not about us not driving, but the sms-ing in the car.

I'm not sure if all this new age mother-daughter communication is a good thing, you know.
I'd like to give her a face-to-face telling-to but, sms-ing seems easier and I can say a lot of things without any interruption and get my message across.

And so can she.

The good thing is that my daughter and I have a good relationship. No, no, I'm not her friend. I'm her mommy.

We do talk to and with each other a lot. But sometimes, I think sms-ing gets the message through, loud and clear without me having to raise my voice.

But then, there was the other day at lunch, when, the moment we took our seats, we took out our BBs, and started checking our tweets, smses, and God-knows-what-else.

And then the text message popped up :"What are you going to order, mommy?"

The 21st century....sigh.

7 comments:

de minimis said...

Haha. In my household we text the kids upstairs on the goings on downstairs and make dinner appointments via SMS. No shouting names. Neighbors are happy with the quiet. Now if only I can SMS the dogs to stop barking!!!

Anonymous said...

SMS-ing? Whatever happen to "berleter" to the children?

Anonymous said...

Latuk punya anak pompuan sudah kahwin? Ada lawa macam dia punya mak?

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

DM: Good to know i'm not alone.
As for the dogs...i tel you, one day, you may just be able to do it!

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

DM: Good to know i'm not alone.
As for the dogs...i tel you, one day, you may just be able to do it!

Anonymous said...

when it mattered however, sms records were lost in the TBH case....would have brought us nearer to the truth there...

ummisara said...

kak ena..

betul tuh...zaman sekarang! hehehhe my girl pun sama and she;s 9 u know.