They are going to build that RM44 billion 37km (37 km!) bridge linking Malacca’s Telok Gong in Alor Gajah to Sumatra’s Pulau Rupat, Dumai and Pekan Baru.
At the risk of sounding vision-less, I will have to say that this is one super mega project that we can do without. Ok. So I am vision-less.
Ali believes that we need the bridge. Read THIS.
He said the project would be a private initiative between China’s Axim Bank and local consortium Malacca Straits Development.
The bank has agreed to finance up to 85% of the construction of the US$13bil (RM44.2bil) bridge with the local company having to bear the remaining 15% of the cost.
Ali said the bridge would not only spur economic growth between the two countries but also strengthen relations.
He added that the use of modern technology has made construction of large bridges common around the world despite challenges posed by natural threats.Adoi!
My esteemed estimation is that by the time construction begins (God forbid!), the cost will balloon and inflate to five times the original cost! That usually happens, doesn't it?
Right now, I'm just dizzy trying to visualise 37 kilometres of the bridge across the sea....
Really getting sea sick!