From today (Saturday, June 14), vehicle and motorcycle owners eligible for cash rebates can claim them at 683 post offices nationwide.
You have until March next year (under the first phase) to claim your rebates.
With the recently-announced fuel price hike, the government is offering owners of cars of up to 2,000cc, as well as pick-up trucks and jeeps of up to 2,500cc RM625 for each vehicle, while motorcyclists with vehicles of up to 250cc will receive RM150 each.
Here's what you have to do:
* bring along your original identity card or MyKad or police/army identity card.
* you will need to fill in details like their full name, identity card number and vehicle registration number on the prescribed form available at the post offices.
* those who have more than one vehicle have to fill a separate form for each vehicle, for up to five vehicles (cars or combination of cars and motorcycles).
* during the Phase I period, third parties are not allowed to make the claims on behalf of vehicle owners.
* Pos Malaysia staff will make verifications with the Road Transport Department's (JPJ) database to determine the eligibility for the cash rebate.
* under Phase I, vehicle owners whose road tax are between April 1 and May 31 this year could start claiming the subsidy from June 14 to March 31 next year.
* vehicle owners who purchased or renewed their road tax between June 1 this year and March 31, 2009, could make their claims from July 1 this year (under Phase II).
* transactions can also be made via money order, following the same procedure but claimants must include their permanent or postal address and telephone contact number in the forms before dropping the forms in the boxes provided at the post offices. The maximum waiting period is seven days and the vehicle owners can cash the money order at any nearest post office or make deposits in their bank account.
Some 2,000 counter staff members will be involved in the exercise.
(source: Bernama quoting Pos Malaysia Berhad acting managing director Datuk Abu Huraira Abu Yazid.)