Sunday, November 18, 2007

Awang Goneng's Trengganu...


Zaharah Othman (Kak Teh of Choc-a-Blog) excitedly told me about Awang Goneng's book. I was as excited as she was.
Awang Goneng is a long-time Trengganu-born (Kecek-Kecek) blogger who happens to be Wan A Hulaimi. Who also happens to be Kak Teh's husband.
"Wait for the book when it goes to the bookstand, ok?", she said.
Of course, I told her. I'll be the first outside the store.
I have known Ah since forever. And Hulaimi, since way back in the mid 70s when I did my practical training at the NST.
He was a senior journalist and we ( Zaharah, Fatimah Abu Bakar and I) were greenhorns.
(Shhhh.....you didn't hear it from me but that was when the "bunga-bunga cinta" between Hulaimi and Zaharah "berputik"...read her blog for the juicy details.)

Hulaimi - journo trained in law -- has a great sense of humour. I just love the guy, his wit, his sense of humour and his writing style.
And I am not the only one, that's for sure.
If you love his Kecek-Kecek, as immensely as I do, then you'd be rushing right now to get his "Growing Up Ing Trengganu" at your nearest store.
If you have no idea what I am talking about, trust me...you will. You'd love the book.

Besides the stories, anecdotes and Hulaimisque wit and humour, I particularly love the fact that it is blog-inspired.
It is true.... Awang Goneng's stories were too good to remain in cyberspace.

Syabbas for coming out with a delightful book. A sure best-seller, I tell you.
And, thank you Hulaimi.... I'm getting re-acquainted with lotsa things Trengganu.

Thank you too.....reading the stories is like listening to you telling them.

Er....so Kak Teh, when are YOU coming out with your best seller?

5 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Ena, what a wonderful surprise to wake up to a wonderful review of GUiT from you! It seems like only yesterday that the three of us - Pak Cik dahari's angels - walked into the newspaper office. Those days at ITM are still fresh in my mind.
GUiT is wonderful for us especially for the children - it is almost a gift for them from their father. They are enjoying reading it.
Once again - thanks Ena.

Hi&Lo said...

Nuraina,

I immediately placed an order at The Times in KK soon as I heard abt it. Until now, not yet arrived. hmmm

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kak Aina for the head-up, I'll try to find this book at Kinokuniya KLCC if there is one, otherwise MPH.

I haven't even read the synopsis, however by looking into the title itself, I hope the book would provide more insights to a small town life.

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to read your review of Growing Up in Terengganu as I am sure it will be something good to read. I have been looking for the book everywhere but could not find one. There is something wrong with the way book shops are prioritising books. For example, in the MPH web page, there is no mention at all of the book in the new Malaysian titles list, or in their other lists. When I went to the book orders page, the book is said to be out of stock. My friends tell me the book has been out of stock for a long time. Is there something wrong here, or is MPH playing some game?

lifeinside said...

growing up in terengganu i am definitely proud of this work! going to get it on my next return to malaysia :)